I admit it: when it comes to food I love to play with color, texture, and somewhat unusual flavor combinations. Sometimes my ideas work out, sometimes they don’t. These Chipotle Steak Tacos with Fennel Beet Slaw are a perfect example of a crazy idea gone right.
The steak is easy, I simply slice pieces of lean top sirloin steak into thin strips and then marinate them in a simple mixture of chipotle peppers with adobo sauce and sweet orange juice. I like to marinate them overnight for maximum flavor. Then a quick grill and the steak is ready for primetime.
The finishing touch is the slaw that I slather on the tacos. I thinly sliced some crunchy fennel which adds a delicious, lightly licorice flavor to the dish. I then peeled and julienned fresh, raw beets.
I know you’re asking, “You can eat raw beets?” Yes! They are delicious shredded in a salad or cut into thin sticks and thrown in a slaw like this.
Beets are naturally sweet and high in sugar and they balance the licorice flavor of the fennel perfectly. I then toss the fennel and beets with some sweet shredded carrots, peppery cilantro and a dressing of orange juice, honey and olive oil to create a sweet, crunchy slaw that is perfect with the spicy chipotle marinated steak.
Wrap the two in a corn tortilla and you have a pretty, perfectly delicious meal.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 2 tacos per person
- Calories: 402.8
- Fat: 13.3
- Saturated fat: 3.6
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9
- Carbohydrates: 41.2
- Sugar: 11.2
- Sodium: 407.2
- Fiber: 7.0
- Protein: 31.1
- Cholesterol: 75.7
- 1 lb. top sirloin steak, sliced into thin strips
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced, + 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- juice of 2 oranges (divided)
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt (divided)
- 2 fresh, raw beets, about 2" in diameter, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, sliced thinly across the width then coarsely chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds (aka nigella)
- 8 corn tortillas, wrapped in foil and warmed in a 400F oven for about 8 minutes.
- Whisk together the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, juice of 1½ oranges, and ¼ tsp of the coarse sea salt.
- Cover the steak strips with the marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Grill the steak strips on a propane grill or indoor grilling pan over medium-high heat for about 1 minute on each side. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the beets, fennel, carrots and cilantro.
- Whisk together the juice of the remaining ½ orange, olive oil, honey, and remaining ¼ tsp of coarse sea salt. Toss with the beet and fennel mixture.
- Sprinkle the black sesame seeds over the slaw and gently stir to combine.
- Serve by layering the slaw in the center of the tortilla, topping with a couple of pieces of steak, and folding the ends of the tortilla around the filling.