I’ve been feeling spicy lately. Daring really. I am feeling the itch to step outside my proverbial box and try new things, embark on new adventures. This bug that has bitten me extends into the kitchen as well of course. Would you expect anything less?
Quente. That’s what my friends in Brazil would call this dish. And me. Literally translated it means hot, but like the American version of the word hot the slang use of it has a spicier meaning. Quente.
I love this dish because it’s easy to prepare, it’s a great filler on vegetarian nights, and it’s quente. I simply combine some white quinoa, black beans, roasted corn, roasted red peppers, cilantro, jack cheese, and a spicy jalapeno then stuff this delectable mixture inside mild, smoky poblano peppers and bake them for 30 minutes at 375F.
Now for some spicy, delectable shake-ups outside of the kitchen. Bring it on!
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 206.9
- Fat: 5.7
- Saturated fat: 2.5
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 31.5
- Sugar: 3.1
- Sodium: 268.5
- Fiber: 3.9
- Protein: 9.3
- Cholesterol: 12.5
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup dry white quinoa, rinsed
- ½ cup reduced sodium black beans, rinsed
- ½ cup frozen roasted corn
- ½ cup diced roasted red peppers
- ½ cup shredded jack cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- pinch coarse sea salt
- 4 whole, raw poblano peppers
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the water is gone. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the black beans, corn, red peppers, cheese, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and cooked quinoa.
- Take each poblano pepper and cut an elongated triangle along the length of the chile -- with the base of the triangle near the stem of the pepper -- to create an opening for your stuffing. Remove all of the seeds from the interior.
- Stuff the quinoa mixture into each of the peppers.
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Latest posts by Colleen (see all)
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Bean and Spinach Soup - April 20, 2014
- Martin Códax Rías Baixas Albariño 2011 - April 9, 2014
- Halibut and Asparagus with White Wine and Herbs en Papillote - April 6, 2014
- ENSO Resonate Red #9 - April 2, 2014
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Tenderloin and Bean Soup - March 30, 2014