I’ve been hard at work experimenting with rice based recipes for Jaime Oliver’s Search for a FoodTube Star with Uncle Ben’s Competition. I can’t remember the last time I ate rice this often. By happy accident, I had actually already been working on this particular recipe before I learned of the competition, about a month ago.
I don’t make enough money off my blog to keep myself in the manner to which I’ve become accustomed, so I continue to work in a completely unrelated field during the day. And because of issues at work, I’ve been working some very long hours. On those days, I need a quick dinner to come home to.
This dinner is insanely easy to prepare. I simply whisk up a thick glaze of sweet hoisin sauce and orange marmalade, throw in a little fish sauce for some dark saltiness, and a pinch of red chili-pepper flakes to offset the sweetness with a little kick. I pour the glaze over some chicken breast and let it sit while I start the rice, which is really no more than rice cooked with a stalk of lemongrass for some extra flavor.
I like to alternate the chicken pieces on the skewers with orange slices. It makes for a pretty presentation and a wonderful aroma when grilling.
While the rice is steaming, I cook the chicken on my propane grill. Chicken breast cooks up quickly, taking only about 2 minutes on each side.
The entire dish takes about 20 minutes to prepare and serve, perfect for those busy days. I’ve added this to my repertoire of go-to weeknight meals.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 skewer + ½ cup cooked rice
- Calories: 277.9
- Fat: 5.9
- Saturated fat: 1.8
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9
- Carbohydrates: 29.4
- Sugar: 13.1
- Sodium: 549.7
- Fiber: 1.1
- Protein: 26.7
- Cholesterol: 65.5
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 orange, halved and sliced (optional)
- 8 bamboo skewers
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Whisk together the hoisin sauce, marmalade, fish sauce, and red chili pepper flakes.
- Mix the chicken pieces with the glaze and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil. Let toast for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the water and lemongrass to the rice. Bring to a boil then reduce to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, arrange the chicken on the skewers. Use 2 bamboo skewers for each to keep the chicken steady on the grill. Alternate the chicken with orange pieces (optional).
- Cook the chicken on a grill on low for about 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Serve immediately.
Latest posts by Colleen (see all)
- Montinore Estate 2012 Müller-Thurgau - November 26, 2014
- Slow Cooker Thai Carrot Peanut Soup + GIVEAWAY! - November 23, 2014
- Lemelson Vineyards 2012 Six Vineyards Pinot Noir - November 19, 2014
- Cookbook Review: Skinny Juices by Danielle Omar, MS, RD - November 18, 2014
- Fall Raw Green Quinoa Salad - November 16, 2014