There is nothing like the cold to make you appreciate a hot and hearty stew. My slow cooker has been in hibernation for the past few glorious summer months, but now that soup and stew season are upon us, it has emerged from its cupboard. I love being able to throw a few ingredients into my slow cooker in the morning and come home to a fully cooked dinner waiting for me.
Like my Tarragon Chicken Pot Pie Soup posted last week, this recipe starts with Mirepoix — a mixture of chopped onion, celery and carrot. I then add split red lentils, peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, a can of diced tomatoes, garlic and broth. I used chicken broth in this recipe, but you can easily use vegetable broth for a fully vegan dish.
The flavor gets a serious boost, though, from the spices that I add. Cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, and turmeric come together to create a a very Moroccan inspired dish that is at once smoky and sweet.
All that is left to do when I get home is to cream everything together. I like to use a potato masher for this as it makes all of the delicious vegetables blend together in a creamy consistency while retaining a thick and hearty texture to the stew.
For a final touch, I like to add a sprinkling of freshly chopped cilantro on the top. It adds a nice touch of color to the dish as well as additional flavor.
- Serves: 5
- Serving size: 1½ cups
- Calories: 447.7
- Fat: 2.9
- Saturated fat: 0.4
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4
- Carbohydrates: 79.6
- Sugar: 16.2
- Sodium: 227.5
- Fiber: 11.7
- Protein: 25.0
- Cholesterol: 0.0
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed and diced
- 1 clove garlice, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups split red lentils
- 1½ lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 4 cups homemade, salt free chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- pinch of coarse sea salt
- 5 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker off. Use a potato masher smooth out the chunks and create a creamy consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve each bowl topped with 1 tbsp of the cilantro.