Sometimes meals need to be simple. I like to have a repertoire of easy, go-to meals that I can throw together quickly on those nights when time is short in between work and whatever other activity I have going on. This recipe is one of those.
I love spicy sriracha sauce, especially on Asian dishes. For this dish, I used sriracha as the foundation for the marinade that I used on lean, boneless, skinless chicken breast. While the chicken needs to sit in the marinade for about 20 minutes to really absorb the flavor, sometimes I start the marinating process in the morning before I leave for work, or even the night before, to save even more time after a busy day at work.
Once the chicken is marinated, all that is left to do is sauté up the asparagus, add in the marinated chicken, and then finish the dish off with some sliced green onions and cilantro. I like to serve this over a quick cooking brown basmati rice which has a great nutty flavor. All in all, excluding the marinating process, the entire dish takes less than 20 minutes to prep and cook, making it a perfect add to my repertoire of weeknight meals. The fact that it’s lean and healthy is an extra bonus.
What’s your favorite go-to dinner recipe for those busy weeknights?
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 451.2
- Fat: 13.0
- Saturated fat: 2.6
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7
- Carbohydrates: 53.7
- Sugar: 4.5
- Sodium: 460.0
- Fiber: 6.7
- Protein: 34.9
- Cholesterol: 65.0
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- ½ dry (uncooked) brown basmati rice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 4 scallions (green onions) trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the sriracha, soy sauce, garlic, lime juice.
- Place chicken breast in a resealable plastic bag and cover with the marinade. Seal and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add asparagus to the hot oil. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and marinade to the pan. Stir and continue cooking for 5 minutes more or until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the scallions and cilantro.
- Serve the chicken asparagus mixture over the rice. Optional: garnish with sesame seeds.
Latest posts by Colleen (see all)
- Lido Bay Bitch Tongue 2010 Grenache - December 17, 2014
- Chili Roasted Butternut Squash Chicken Chili - December 14, 2014
- Holiday Entertaining: Baked Wonton Appetizers - December 12, 2014
- Windsor Oaks 2011 Chalk Hill Malbec - December 10, 2014
- Review: Nutri Ninja® Blender DUO with Auto-iQ™ - December 8, 2014