This may be the easiest recipe I’ve ever published on my blog. I mean, a total of 6 ingredients with minimal fuss in the prep? It truly doesn’t get much easier.
It all started with my typical weekly browse of the “What’s New” shelf at my local Trader Joe’s. My eyes lit upon a bottle of Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic Barbecue Sauce and I knew that baby was going home with me for dinner. The entire ride home my mind was swimming with ideas of how to use it.
In the end, though, the simplest idea is generally best. And so these Sriracha BBQ Chicken Sandwiches were born.
In the morning before I leave for work I simply toss some lean chicken breast, this sriracha barbecue sauce, and some slices of red onion into the slow cooker. Heck, I’ve even taken the chicken straight out of the freezer and thrown it into the slow cooker. That’s right, no dethawing.
At the end of the day, when I come home from work the house smells like someone’s been barbecuing all day in my kitchen. I then whip up a simple slaw of a store-bought coleslaw mix, lowfat blue cheese dressing, and a bit of crumbled blue cheese. Now all that’s left to do is shred up the chicken breast and slap my sandwich together.
Seriously, does it get any easier than that?
- Serves: 4 servings
- Calories: 267.7
- Fat: 8.6
- Saturated fat: 3.8
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6
- Carbohydrates: 16.9
- Sugar: 13.0
- Sodium: 464.3
- Fiber: 0.7
- Protein: 29.2
- Cholesterol: 75.3
- 1 lb. raw boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Trader Joe's Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce
- 8 oz. (about 3 cups) store-bought coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- ½ cup Bolthouse Farms Blue Cheese dressing (yogurt based)
- 1 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- Place the chicken, onion, and BBQ sauce in a slow cooker, cover and cook for 10 hours on low.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, blue cheese dressing, and blue cheese crumbles. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the slow cooker and use 2 forks to shred the chicken.
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the barbecue sauce in the slow cooker.
- Serve the chicken on a bun, topped with the coleslaw, and bite into a little piece of heaven!